Sunday, June 16, 2013

World's Best Dad!



For Father’s Day, the boys wanted to make their dad’s gift (like always).  This year, I didn’t want to do the typical craft that ends up ripped or ruined in some other way. I wanted the boys to create something their father would keep for years. I relied on my dear friend, Pinterest, for a bit of inspiration.

When I came across this “Hands Down Best Dad” canvas from Roots & Wings Co I just knew we had to do it. My boys like painting, cutting, pasting, and tracing so this was a win-win.

Here’s what we did:

1. I headed to Michael’s to purchase:
·        12 x 16 canvas (50% off the day I went!)
·        Acrylic Paint (you don’t have to paint the canvas, but it was the fun part!)
·        Scrapbook Paper
·        Mod Podge
·        Skinny Paintbrush (to paint their names on the canvas)

(I spent less than $20 and it took the boys and I about 35 minutes from start to finish.)

2. I started with the blank canvas.
The boys and I painted it. (They chose brown,)

 
3. I traced both of their hands and arms on the scrapbook paper and cut it out. I traced my oldest son’s left hand and my youngest son’s right hand.




They chose “water” and “football” backgrounds since they know their father likes both.

4, Then, we pasted their hand-arm cut outs on the canvas with the Mod Podge.




5. We printed the phrase “You are the world’s best dad hands down!” from my computer on regular copy paper. We used pencil lead to scribble the back of letters from the printed phrase.



6. We placed the paper on the canvas and traced firmly and carefully. Viola…our phrase was transferred. I painted over the lettering so make it stand out more.



7. I also painted their names next to their “arms” to add a bit of sentiment. And we had our final product. It dried for a half hour and it was ready to give.





Blessings, Joyice, The Writing Enhancer

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts!