Sunday, June 16, 2013

Summer Schooling

I am often asked, "Do we school in the summer?" a lot! The short answer is, "YES!" 
I often give my boys breaks throughout the year so there is no need to take a whole June-August break. I guess you could say they go to "year round" school. The difference, because I do believe the summer should be a bit different than regular school, is we do not stick to a rigid school, they do not school every day (M-F), and they get to learn about whatever they want! (Except I require some type of Bible, Math, & Reading/Writing, most times.) I feel these subjects are just too important and the boys are too young to break for a long period of time and still manage to pick it back up fluidly.

Here is what our summer schedule will look like this year when we are not visiting family, at the beach, or laying around. :-)

2nd grader/3rd grader
Bible:               Grapevine Only (because it is FUN!)
Math:               Singapore Math 2A & 2B (to reinforce, no new learning)
Reading:         Everything! (We have some BJU Readers and an awesome book list!)
Writing:           Writing w/ Ease, Level 1 & Easy Peasy
Health:             Abeka, Level 2
Unit Studies:    Anything he wants from Amanda Bennett & Confessions of a Homeschooler
Geography:    Finish up RoadTrip USA (because he told me he did not want to stop!)
Latin:                 Getting Started w/ Latin & Rosetta Stone
Computers       Easy Peasy


Our first unit for the summer will be, Discover Brain by Amanda Bennett. He is SUPER excited about it!

Kindergartener
Confession Time! My newly 4 year old does not know it's "Summer Time." Well, he knows the summer season, but since he has never been to school before he does not know kids have breaks in the summer. He wants to keep schooling and I am going to let him! If he were older, I would explain it to him, but we just started teaching reading and I am afraid if he does not practice letters and phonics consistently, I will be starting over again in the fall!

Bible:                            Grapevine Traceables
Reading & Phonics:   A Beka K4 
Math:                           BJU Math K5
Supplement:              K4 from Confessions of a Homeschooler 
                                      Any anything I can get my hands on from TPT.
 
Blessings,
 Joyice, The Writing Enhancer

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts!