Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Nature Studies

The final component (I think) I am adding to our homeschool are nature studies! There are a few reasons as to why I decided to include this and let me tell you, it was NOT because I enjoy being outside! In fact, quite the opposite is true. We are studying nature because my boys like to be outside, it is a wonderful way to study and witness science, we are modeling a more Charlotte Mason-esque homeschool this year, and finally (but certainly not least) I want my sons to see the creativity and likeness of God through nature.

I gathered many of my ideas from these two sites:
·       Handbook of Nature Study

Without further ado, here are our goals for year concerning this area (and we already have one crossed off!)

Goals:
  •        Introduce my sons to live nature
  •         Expose my sons to nature to view the creativity/likeness of God
  •        Start my own nature journal (modeling by example)
  •          Make an on-the-go nature kit (sketchbook, pencils, watercolors and binoculars)
  •      Observe birds, shrubs, and trees (@ least 5 each)
  •       Observe the night sky and moon phases (8/21 is the next full moon)
  •         Observe seasonal insects
  •        Observe nature in bodies of water (ponds, lakes, rivers, waterfalls)
  •        Follow nature trails/take nature walks
  •       Take nature scavenger hunts
  •         Visit nature reserves
  •         Read The Study of Nature Handbook
  •         Make caterpillar habitat (harvesting butterflies)
  •       Make tadpole habitat (harvesting frogs/toads)


See the chart below to follow our plan for the year. Please feel free to grab it! I am always on the hunt for plans/charts where the organization and fluidity is already done for me! (Enjoy!)

2013-2014 Nature Study Plan
Month
Aspect of Nature
Note/Sites/Ideas
August
Summer Scavenger Hunt
Painted Egg Carton
Butterfly Habitat
Night Sky
Moon Phases
Full Moon, 8/21
September
Pond Study
Tadpole Habitat
October
Signs of Autumn/Scavenger Hunt
Nature trail (notebook page)
First two weeks
Press leaves/tile
Backyard
Notebook pages
Acorn Collection
November
Rocks: Granite
1st two weeks

Rocks: Quarts
Last two weeks
December
Trees
(different 1 each week)
Tree Collection, Living World
December World
(last week of December/notebook page)
January
Birds/Owls
Notebook page
Visit reserves with owls
Birds Running List
Winter Scavenger Hunt
Pinecone collection
Notebook Page
February
Rodents
(squirrels, chipmunks,
March
First Day of Spring
Nature Trail (notebook page)

Signs of Spring
Nature Trail (notebook page)
Spring Maple Tree
April
Living Things
Explore nature as living or non-living
Living World
Spring Scavenger Hunt
Notebook Page
May
Amphibians & Reptiles
June
Fish
Choose two native fish to our state/area
July
Insects
(different 1 each week)


Pictures coming soon!



Blessings,
Joyice, The Writing Enhancer

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts!