Thursday, November 21, 2013

Operation Christmas Child


We are so excited here in the Men-In-Training Household! We received our Operation Christmas Child package last night right in the nick of time. I had planned for us to do our OCC shopping today and pack our boxes tomorrow so its arrival could not be more perfect.




As a part of the Christmas season, I do my best to teach my sons about service and charity. I feel that it is important to learn how to serve others (with the correct attitude) and offer a hand to those in need.

OCC is a perfect way to add a tangible lesson of service and charity at the end of all my teachings and unit studies on the topic.



How?
You can order a pack and build together with a group or your family. Alternatively, you can search for ministries and organizations that support OCC and need helpers/packers. (Click here for packing information from Samaritan’s Purse.)




Choosing the Gift: Gender & Age
I love that OCC encourages packing parties but I have not (as of yet) been able to get anyone to commit to doing with us; so we do it together as a family. Since it’s a family affair, we normally begin by deciding the gender and age of a child we would like to bless. Since my husband is typically working, we complete a box together as a couple. So each child has their own box and my husband and I share.

Thinking & Planning
Next, I allow the boys to brainstorm what they think the child may want. (The kit comes with suggestions and ideas but I like the boys to add a personal touch and think about whom they may be blessing.) I usually have my oldest son write out what we want to include in our boxes. This creates our shopping list.

Shopping
The boys and I will visit Dollar Tree & Target for our shopping. They get a kick out of checking the list and placing the items in the cart. I do my best not to purchase anything else in this time; making the trip special and all about OCC. I will share the budget with my oldest son so he can keep up with some of the math as we shop. (He is really good with numbers.) This is a fun experience for us all and they feel all “adult” being able to shop and plan. (I only supervise.)

Sorting &Packing
Once we get home, they sort out all the items and begin to pack their boxes. You can pick up free boxes from Family Christian Bookstore or order through Samaritan’s Purse. Alternatively, you can just pack plastic shoe boxes. Since they are just $1 in the Dollar Tree, we opt for plastic boxes.

We normally discuss how the child will feel once they open up their boxes. Some of the dialogue here is, “I hope my box goes to Africa!” or “I hope a cool boy gets this one, a kid just like me!” And on and on they go in their excitement to help others. (As you can imagine, I enjoy listening in.) OCC asks for a $7 donation for shipping and delivery costs. One of the awesome features we love is the ability to track the package and see where it was delivered. (We will be using this feature for the first time this year.) So, I will actually be able to inform my sons if it made it to Africa or not. (wink, wink!) “Follow your box” is only available if you donate online.

Prayer
We pray for the children that will receive our boxes in advance. We desire for their Christmas Season to be a bit more special and memorable with their box. We also cover the workers and founders of OCC for making it possible for us to give in this way.

Dropping Off
There are several drop-off locations but we like to drop off at Family Christian Bookstore. We normally go in to browse and pick up something simple for the family. The drop off date ends on Monday, October 25; but you can ship your box:

Samaritan’s Purse
Operation Christmas Child
PO Box 3000
801 Bamboo Road
Boone, NC 28607

When You Give, You Receive Too!

Giving is such a blessed act. My family is afforded the opportunity to be a bit less selfish and concentrate on the needs of others. It is also a time of gratitude. We add various hygiene products in our boxes and even though we are not "well-off" it makes you stop and think; these kids don’t even have toothpaste and toothbrush. This continues to be a major-eye opener for my sons. In a society so driven by more and more…and more stuff, I am glad that giving (especially in this season) helps up to not be consumed by just more stuff.


Blessings, 
Miss Mom

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts!